Monday, December 21, 2009

the 2009 XBOX Awards

Best Action Game - Batman: Arkham Asylum
Lately, Batman has this uncanny ability to be awesome. First the movie Dark Knight, and now a video game. When did this start happening. I haven't played a superhero game this kick-ass since Spider-Man 2

Runner up:
Assassin's Creed 2


Best Fighting Game - Blazblue: Calamity Trigger
BARELY edged out Street Fighter 4, Blazblue actually makes good use out of the right analog stick by letting you do some of your special moves by just flicking it. It's easy, yet still demands skill.

Runners up:
Street Fighter 4
Tekken 6


Best Music Game - DJ Hero
It aint another fuckin guitar game; I can tell you that. Finally, something new.

Runner up:
Anything with a guitar (they're all the fuckin same)


Best Racing Game - ........Oh shit, I didn't finish any!
Okay, ummm, this is awkward....ummm.....let's flip a coin. Heads is Forza; tails is Need for Speed Shift. Okay, flip.................HEADS.

Best Racing Game - Forza Motorsport 3
Yes, I really did flip a coin to decide this. LMAO

Runner up:
Need For Speed Shift


Best Shooter - Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2
ODST had a lot going for it (including co-op, something COD:MW2 doesnt have), but one too many 'OH SHIT!!!' moments by COD pushed it on top. Plus, you were a terrorist....pretty freaky.

Runners up:
Halo3: ODST
Left 4 Dead 2 (which I won't review)


Best Sports Game - Fight Night Round 4
What a big selection to chose from, but I'm going with Fight Night. I know I gave UFC the nod earlier in the year, but as time progressed, Fight Night seemed like the better game. Plus, they added face button controls, so it all worked out.

Runners up:
Madden 10
Fifa 10
NBA 2K10
NHL 10
NFL 2K5....A HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA


Best Xboxlive Arcade Game - 'Splosion Man
Another close one, but Battlefield 1943 loses to the originality of 'Splosion Man.

Runners up:
Battlefield 1943
Shadow Complex


Best 'Kill Time' Game - Skate 2
Maybe it's just me, but skating around and trying to find random shit to trick off usually ends with me looking at the time and realizing I should have left to go to work.

Runners up:
Assassin's Creed 2
Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories


Best RPG -........OH GOD DAMMIT!
Aw man, I screwed up again. Okay, let's just go with Dragon Age, since that was pretty much the only one out (not really true, but who cares)

Best RPG - Dragon Age: Origins


Best Subject to Rip On - Sonic the Hedgehog
I do it because I love the franchise. Also because I'm generally an evil person hell bent on insulting everything you hold dear and near.

Runner up:
Madden/2K5 Fanboys


Best Weapon in Club BadAss - Wolverine
That's right; he's our very own WBD (Weapon of Badass Destruction), and quite frankly, he scares the shit out of me. Still would like to go get that beer with him, though.

Runner's up:
the Shotgun
Ghostbusters' Proton Pack
Plasma Grenades


and now for the moment you've been waiting for....and I've been stalling for...


GAME OF THE YEAR - BATMAN: ARKHAM ASYLUM
God, it was so hard to chose, but despite what points Modern Warfare 2 has earned, it's not original. That's not a knock at the game, but it does keep it from beating Batman. If you played Call of Duty 4, you knew you were getting something awesome with MW2. Batman, on the other hand, what something new, and you didn't know what you were getting with it, especially since the last few games sucked balls. If you wanted to judge on their own merits then fine. Batman has a better single player experience while MW2 has a better...well A multiplayer experience so now they're dead even. Some of you might be wondering "How is Batman's single player better? MW2 has all sorts of hectic moments and OH SHIT moments." That's true in the case of the 'OH SHIT' moments, but how many of those moments have you PERSONALLY caused. While MW2 let's you SEE a lot of shit (without taking you out of gameplay, which is fuckin impressive), Batman let's you do a lot of shit, and I was fuckin shocked by all the stuff you can do. It's pretty much everything I want from a badass protagonist, except the killing (stabby stabby).

Runners up:
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2
Blazblue: Calamity Trigger (yea...really)
Street Fighter 4
Assassin's Creed 2 (again?)


I really wanted to wait till I reviewed all the games, but hey, what are you gonna go? Besides, it gives fanboys a chance to berate me about my choice and call me names for not picking their games.


NOTE: Madden 10 is still better than 2K5...HA!

No comments:

Post a Comment